Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Final Product

 
             A couple weeks ago, I mentioned that I had the opportunity to learn how to use iMovie through a video project. To remind you guys, the topic of the video was going to be what words can a person use other than the r-word in conversation. This topic is near and dear to my heart as I have younger family members with intellectual disabilities who have to deal with being called the r-word and bullying, on top of learning the best way for them to navigate society and still be happy. Today, people use the r-word as a slur in conversations, which is completely unnecessary as there are thousands of words in the English language that could articulate your point more effectively. I'm proud of the job I did on this assignment and had a great time interviewing people, as well as learning such a cool tech tool. After this project, I can see how having students create their own videos could be a fun and interactive way for kids to learn and take charge of their own learning.

            On the day of turning in my video, I was also taught how to use Google Earth. Now, like most kids nowadays I have used Google Earth to travel through my own neighborhood and exploring the Loch Ness. In this class, I learned the wide scope of the app and all you can do with it. A cool feature is that you can create tours and at the spots you want to travel to you can include information, pictures, and links to other sources. This could be a great tool to teach kids about their local neighborhood and states. Or you could use it to show students different types of animal habitats, the lands of past and current wars, battles, historical events or even for comparing the different types of towns across the world and how similar conditions cause different effects in different living situations. I can't wait to explore this app and utilize it in my classroom someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment