Friday, May 29, 2015

Hour of Code

     

               Last week my ED 270 class provided a crash course in coding. When I heard that our activity for the day was coding my first thought was "good luck with that. There's no way I'll be able to code." I was proven wrong in under an hour. How? Well, my professor introduced the class to the groundbreaking website that is Hour of Code. This website teaches people of all levels, from kindergarden to computer science majors, the art of coding through interactive games. I personally chose to play Frozen and Angry Birds to learn basic coding and was surprised by how easy and fun coding was. This is definitely a tool I would use in my future classroom, especially considering that in twenty years most of the jobs my students will have will involve coding, or at the very least computer science.

If we teach kids like we taught kids yesterday, we rob them of tomorrow. We must prepare them for their future and Hour of Code is a great tool to do just that.


No comments:

Post a Comment